Just in August I have been 23 years around the sun! So here is a list of 23 things I have learned by 23:
-These are things I am still learning to work on. Nevertheless, I am happy to be the person I am at this age so far.
1. I wish I was still 22. Seriously! I could not cope with the idea that I turned 22 and now all of a sudden I’m a year older!
2. Keep going. No matter what, keep going.
3. You need to do things for yourself. Taking care of others is nice, but you gotta remember to take care of yourself too.
4. “Stop and smell the roses.” Seriously. Don’t be too eager to grow up. Life moves fast enough as it is.
5. Be unapologetically YOU. Do what YOU want. Live for you. Don’t let people tell you what you should or shouldn’t be doing.
6. Sometimes we need a break from our routines. Be okay with leaving for a bit.
7. Don’t let fear get in the way with what you want to do in life. Quit that awful job. Move to a different city.
8. Everything will always work out in the end. ALWAYS.
9. There is never not an ending to bad times. Something good will always come out of it and you’ll be okay.
10. Love your significant other deeply. With faults and all.
11. If you’re ever unsure about a certain opportunity, take it. Take it because why not soak up all the experiences life has to offer?
12. It’s okay if you don’t have everything figured out. I think being in your twenties, you get the opportunity to find out what you like and what you want from life. You can be messy.
13. You will always make mistakes. Life will never be perfect no matter what age you are. I always imagined that by my twenties my life would be perfect and things would be done the way I wanted them. Honestly, jokes on me and I’m okay with it. 🙂
14. You are good enough. No matter where you are in life. Whether you are where you want to be or not.
15. Never forget where you come from. Visit the country your ancestors are from. Go deep into your roots because there is more to you than what people see on the outside.
16. Learning to navigate spaces that are not meant for me and my fellow POC is hard. But be strong. Your vocabulary is vast and your wit is sharp.
17. Be you. Be real. Be bold. Be a lion amongst the sheep.
18. Never settle for anything less.
19. Being different is an amazing thing. Stand up towards the hate. Outgrow those who don’t take a stance against ignorance and injustice.
20. Do not stay for meaningless conversations. Especially conversations that feel forced.
21. It’s okay to like the silence. To crave the space and not speak when words are needed. Because being around people can be so exhausting.
22. Candid moments. Raw moments. Those are the best moments.
23. You are and will always be your goals, dreams and ambitions. Whether you’re 23, 43, or 73. Never stop dreaming.